Direct Mail: It’s ALIVE!
Contrary to popular opinion, Direct Mail is NOT dead. Direct Mail has changed. While Direct Mail has generally lost its luster as a mass-marketing, lead-generation source, it still offers pockets of opportunity if used properly. Here are some considerations when using Direct Mail:
- Direct Mail continues to provide one of the best CPLs and CPSs in more rural areas
- Direct Mail works better in markets with lower unemployment rates
- Direct Mail works better when married up with e-mail and contact center calling
- Direct Mail works better when using smaller, more specialized lists (micro-mailings)
- Direct Mail is extraordinarily effective as a remarketing vehicle
- Direct Mail creative should focus on phone and e-mail responses to help conversions, though 50-60% of the respondents will still use the reply card
- Direct Mail follow up must be diligent and at different times of day … consider a contact center to call and transfer live leads
- Direct Mail creative must be tested against a control piece
- Direct Mail does NOT convert well when using ONLY surveys
It’s not time to bury Direct Mail … it is time to re-learn how to use it effectively.