Why should MOOCs get all the ink?
Let's coin a term, a phrase, a meme. Will the MTOP – the Micro-Targeted Online Program – go viral? (Calling Thomas Friedman).
An MTOP shares the following 7 characteristics:
1. An online (or blended) program with 50 or fewer students per year.
2. Narrowly focused, with a specialized curriculum and student demand profile.
3. A program that leads to an accredited degree.
4. Built on the expertise and specialization of a department, rather than individual faculty members.
5. Designed to build strong relationships between students and faculty.
6. Has a revenue model that is self-sustaining.
7. Is not limited to elite institutions, but is dependent on great academic departments.
Click through for full article content.